Home >> History

History of Demänová and Bodice

Woodcutter in work
Historically, Demänová is one of the first Liptov's villages and was already mentioned in 1269 when King Stephen V. presented the area to Poznan. In 1280 King Ladislaus IV. confirmed the ownership of the area to Poznan and his son Damian, after whom the village was named. A settlement of Lusatian culture from the early Bronze Age was found in the area. Iron ores were mined in Demänovská valley in 17th and 18th century and later lime was produced. The inhabitants practised other crafts, too, tanning and production of linen for example.A neighbouring village of Bodice was mentioned in 1314 for the first time and the most famous of its owners is the Bodicky family. The dominant part of the village is St Ladislaus's Church which was built between years 1360-1380. In front of the church there are protected lime-trees, which are the oldest in whole Liptov region. In the surrounding area of the village there is Bodicky pond. Nowadays, inhabitants of both villages are mainly engaged in tourism because Demänovská valley became one of the best known centers of tourism and winter sports in Slovakia.
Dolina Chata Vlek Preveje Jaskyňa
Significant people:
Igor Rumanský (1946-2006) - painter,
Zoltán Palugyay (1898-1935) - painter,
Ján Gregorec (1914-1982) - university teacher, co-originator of History of Slovak literature.
Polia Lyžiar Na salaši Hory Pamätník
Demänovská Ice Cave have been known for a very long time. The openings to Demänovská Caves were mentioned for the first time in a document of Ostrihom kapitula published in 1299. The Demänovská Ice Cave was for the first time mentioned in 1672 by J.P.Hain, who was interested in skeletons of cave bears which he thought were skeletons of dragons. In 1719 G. Buchholtz jr. had explored the cave and sent a description of it along with a drawing of the cave to M. Bela who published these facts in 1723. In 1751 an emperor's commitee took a look on the cave. There are many inscriptions on the walls of the cave and a great amount of books which testify that scientists and also people of those times took interest in the cave. There are signatures of many important persons of Slovak history (M.M. Hodža, S. Chalupka, G. Fejérpataky-Belopotocký, etc.).
Jaskyňa Parkovisko Jaskyňa Kopáči Projektanti
Demänovská Cave of Freedom was discovered by A. Král with the help of A. Mišura in 1921. In 1923 temporary electric lighting was installed in the cave. In 1924 a part of the cave, from Mramorové riečisko to Zlaté jazierko, was opened to public. In 1925 'Družstvo Demänovských jaskýň' was created. It was an organization, which had a job of taking care of both caves. An expedition, led by A. Král, discovered four other parts of the cave - Jánošíkov dóm, Panenská chodba, Chodba utrpenia and Červená galéria - in 1926. In 1928 a new opening to the cave was built and was used since 1930. In 1931 permanent electric lighting was installed and J. Zelinka discovered Medvedia chodba. In 1933 he built a new opening from there and hence changed the tour route. In 1986/1987 the connection with Demänovská Cave Of Peace was achieved. Speleologists from SSS Demänovská dolina achieved a connection of the cave with Cave under a Cliff and Lower Cave in 1989, and a connection with Cave of Debris in 1992.
Demänová-photo from history Demänová-photo from history Demänová-photo from history Demänová-photo from history Demänová-photo from history Vchod do jaskyne
Speleologists from SSS local group Demänovská valley had interconnected the Demänovská Cave of Freedom with the Cave Under Cliff and Vale Cave in 1989 and with Cave of Slag in 1992 as well.